Saturday, July 23, 2011

All-Dodger Team

I'm traveling away from LA on a bus. It's an Amtrak bus shuttling me to Bakersfield where a train waits to take me to Oakland. As I stare out the window at the Six Flags nestled amongst all these anonymous burnt-brown hills I have the Dodgers on my mind.

It is sad to see such a storied franchise limping along; playing uninspired baseball; entertaining only the cynical or naive. At the game last night, between Vin Scully impersonations and google-informed hecklings of Jayson Werth, I experienced very real pangs of understanding Dodger significance to both baseball and cultural history. I was mid-pang when the Nationals' Jerry Hairston smoked a grand slam in the top of the ninth putting the game out of reach and cementing my vision of a Dodger freefall from grace.

So, in sympathy with and total respect for all things Blue I've compiled my all-Dodger team:

C- Roy Campanella
1B-Steve Garvey
2B-Jack Roosevelt Robinson
3B-The penguin, Ron Cey
SS-Pee Wee Reese
LF-Pedro Guerrero
CF-Duke Snider
RF-Kirk Gibson
LHP-Sandy Koufax
RHP-Orel Hershiser

2 comments:

Tess Adaire said...

No Alfredo Griffin? For shame!

Blue said...

OK, the above comment was me. Tess is more of a Rafael Furcal woman...